Thursday, October 16, 2008

The End of MY Season

This blog actually started in my mind on Monday evening in section 25, row L, seat 4 in Dodger Stadium.
It was the 6th or 7th inning, I was in my seat at the game partying with Danimal.
Little did I know the bullpen for the home team LA Dodgers was about to meltdown and give up 4 freaking runs in the Top of the 8th.

So 3 days later, after the Phillies finished off the Dodgers and Tampa Bay is up 7-6 on the Red Soxin the bottom of the eighth, my rooting season has come to a close.

Overall it was a disappointing season for the Yankees, with the Pinstripes not even making the playoffs. All that talent and nothing. Derek Jeter, the captain, missed the playoffs for the first time in his career. FIRE JOE GIRARDI!

With the Dodgers, it was probably one of the most exciting seasons since Fernando-mania. So many people found baseball again in Los Angeles, which I am excited about, with the arrival of Manny Ramirez and the Dodgers winning the West.

So for the first time in my young writing career, I have thrown my hat into the ring to trade emails and phone calls with sportswriters, talk shows and so called baseball experts.

Experts?
Sportswriters?

How do you become one? Is the average Joe's opinion even valid among these titans of radio and print?

I remember calling into the Hacksaw Hamilton show a few years ago to talk about baseball acquisitions and the upcoming 2004 season. I was very nervous on the cell phone on hold. I did stumble a bit, but I did get my point out. Javier Vasquez had been acquired by the Yanks and here was Hacksaw telling everyone within earshot of his show how good Vazquez was and how he would energize the pitching staff of the Yankees. I called into debate this point and tell him Javier Vasquez wasn't energizing anything but his bank account. In the end, I was right, he was wrong, Vasquez lasted one season with the Yanks posting a 4.91 ERA and going 14-10. Needless to say I never listened to Hacksaw again and I guess no one else did either. Hacksaw was off the air in 2005-good riddance. Stick to San Diego football and Charger tirades on air HACK!

The only reason I tell this tale is to say that not even the experts are experts.

Like a student of the game I read everything baseball. I read the dailies, watch the pre season, listen to people's opinions, watch the off season moves and develop my OWN opinions.
My Fantasy baseball skills have gotten better too, I went from coming in 5th last year in my league to tying for 1st this year. I have seen huge stars emerge such as James Loney, BJ Upton, Andre Ethier, Dustin Pedroia and Evan Longoria. Great pitchers shine like Johnathan Papelbon, Tim Linceum and even Taikshi Saito. Lookout for James Mc Donald next year!

Like a student studies daily for a class, baseball is my class.

So my question is: Why can't these Bozo the Clown front office guys for MLB teams figure out what they need in the off season?

As early as today, the Dodgers were still wondering if they were signing Manny or not? If they have the money? Are you kidding? Parking is $ 15 and Manny wigs are $ 30! Dont be stupid Ned and Frank!

Manny is the only reason the Dodgers made the playoffs. I didn't say it Larry Bowa did!

SIGN MANNY RAMIREZ AND ENERGIZE THE CLUB FOR NEXT YEAR!

As for the Yanks, I knew bringing back Petitte and Mussina was NOT the ticket. These guys were not going to carry the Yanks (Dan made me change this) to no pennant. I saw that 162 games ago. I saw that in the freaking pre season. Why didn't Brian Cashman? But they just gave him a new contract. So I am hoping Hank kicks a little ass in the Bronx and gets what the Yanks (Dan made me change this) need because no one wants an empty billion dollar stadium-dig?

I will watch what looks to be a great World Series, I can only think what could have been and what is yet to come.
In some ways a new season is just beginning....Goodbye to Dodger Stadium for now
I LOVE LA!


No comments: